1. Navigate to the account. click on the avatar to the right of the search bar up top. So the account you are trying to get rid on will say for example “Miguel and Sephie’s Facebook” with a little picture of the flag of Mexico or something. If you click on that, you will see the timeline of the account open up.
2. Next look at the address of the timeline. the last folder name is your account’s name. So for instance it could be: https://www.facebook.com/miguelsephie22, where the Facebook account name is miguelsephie22.
3. Go here: https://www.facebook.com/login/identify?ctx=recover. Put in your facebook account name again and click search.
By the way you could have skipped the above and started here because there is an alternative to entering the user name which allows you instead to enter your girlfriend’s real name if that is what she used to open the account and her ex-boyfriend’s name or another friend of there’s or yours instead of the user name.
4. In the next screen put the radio button on the method of how: “How would you like to reset your password?” You may only have one choice. Hopefully you have access to the Email account or other method by which Facebook offers to allow you to reset the password.
If you don’t have access to any method such as an old Email address that Facebook can send you a password reset message, click on the link that says: “No longer have access to these?”. Then enter a new Email address and confirm it when asked on the next screen: “How Can We Reach You?”.
5. Once you can log into the account go to this page, and see if you can get through the screens: https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account.
Note before completely removing the account you might want to export all the data because it might contain some pictures and Emails your girlfriend still wants. What’s in the archive is: photos or videos she shared on Facebook, her wall posts, messages and chat conversations, her friends’ names and some of their email addresses. (Note: only included are email addresses for friends who’ve allowed this in their account settings.). What’s not in the archive is the friends’ photos and status updates, other people’s personal info, comments she made on other people’s posts.
To do that:
1. Go to the little settings cogwheel icon in the upper right when logged into your girlfriend’s old account.
2. Click General in the left-hand column.
3. Click on “Download a copy of your Facebook data”.
4. Click Start My Archive.